Two American Tourists Kidnapped in Sinai
Two American tourists and their Egyptian guide were kidnapped Friday in the Sinai Desert, according to Egyptian military and police officials.
The Bedouin kidnappers are demanding the release of a jailed tribesman, according to news reports.
The tourists and guide were taken when the kidnappers stopped their tourist bus, according to the Associated Press.
Robberies and kidnappings in the Sinai have increased since the ouster of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak last year.
A U.S. Embassy spokesman said the embassy was looking into the kidnapping and did not provide additional details.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
