Israel Allows Construction Material Into Gaza After Massive Storm

Image by getty images
Israeli defense officials approved the transfer of more construction materials into the Gaza Strip.
Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon approved the transfer and directed the coordinator of government activities in the territories, Maj.-Gen. Eitan Dangot, to allow in about 1,000 tons of construction materials for United Nations projects and storm repairs, the Defense Ministry said Sunday in a statement.
The entry of building materials had been curtailed in October, a month after Israel began permitting more construction material into Gaza, when a tunnel from Gaza to Israel was discovered that had been constructed using 500 tons of cement.
A snowstorm in December reportedly displaced some 40,000 Gazans from their homes and caused extensive damages. Hamas, which heads the Gaza government, claimed responsibility for the tunnel. The tunnel reportedly was to be used to further terrorist operations in Israel and contained explosives.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
