Wife Sues To Rescind Death Certificate Of Comatose Brooklyn Man

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
(JTA) — The wife of a Brooklyn man on life support has asked Brooklyn’s Supreme Court to rescind a death certificate that she said was issued in error.
New York-Presbyterian Hospital on May 31 issued a death certificate for Yechezkel Nakar, 68, several weeks after he was admitted to the hospital and suffered a stroke, the New York Post reported Sunday. He was placed on life-support.
Doctors at the hospital declared him brain dead on the first day of Shavuot, and issued an electronic death certificate. But Nakar remains on life support.
His wife, Sarah, who objected to taking her husband off life support for religious reasons, filed a lawsuit against the hospital late last week.
“The man is still living, and the family is distraught at the whole situation,” their attorney, Morton Avigdor, told the Post.
Rabbi J. David Bleich, a professor of Jewish law at Cardozo Law School and an expert in biomedical ethics, told the Post that brain dead patients on respirators typically die in three to 12 days and that “there is room for error in everything, including neurological criteria.”
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
, editor-in-chief