Swedish Neo-Nazis Disrupt Exhibition Of Holocaust Survivors’ Portraits

Neo-Nazi protesting Holocaust Museum in Illinois Image by Getty Images
(JTA) — Neo-Nazis in Sweden blocked the entrance to an exhibition of portraits of Holocaust survivors and intimidated visitors already viewing the display.
In the incident Tuesday in the southern city of Visby, several men from the Nordic Resistance Movement gathered outside the venue displaying the exhibition “Fading Stories – pass them on” by the Raoul Wallenberg Academy and photographer Sanna Sjosward.
At around noon, the men tried to block the entrance but one woman pushed passed them, leading them to follow her inside.
“Three Nazis followed and also went into the room,” she told Expressen. “Inside they yelled “F***|ing myths.”
Police arrived at the scene but did not arrest the neo-Nazis, who left the premises.
“It was unpleasant. It was very clear that they were here intimidate,” another witness told Expressen.
Last year, intimidation by the Nordic Resistance Movement led a Jewish community in northern Sweden to dissolve itself, citing security concerns.
In 2015 and 2017, skinheads twice disrupted lectures in Swedish schools by Holocaust survivors.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
