Skip To Content
Fast Forward

Two Palestinians killed, five Israeli soldiers wounded in separate incidents in West Bank

Earlier on Thursday, around 100 Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israeli security forces in the West Bank city of Nablus, near Joseph’s Tomb

This article originally appeared on Haaretz, and was reprinted here with permission. Sign up here to get Haaretz’s free Daily Brief newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Two Palestinians were killed and five Israeli soldiers were injured in separate incidents on Thursday in the West Bank.

According to the IDF, two Palestinians opened fire at an Israeli vehicle near the Palestinian village of Shufa east of the Tulkarem refugee camp and were shot at by soldiers. The army added that an M16 rifle was found in the suspects’ vehicle. The two were later identified as 23-year-old Abed Arakhman Fares Atta, and 27-year-old Adnan Fares.

In a separate incident, three Israeli border police officers were severely wounded and two lightly wounded after a grenade exploded near them during an entry by IDF forces into the Tuklarem refugee camp overnight Thursday. The soldiers were taken to hospital, where one is reported in critical condition.

Army sources say the force encountered gunfire upon exiting the refugee camp. Following a preliminary investigation, the army estimates that a grenade thrown toward the source of fire exploded near the soldiers.

Hamas also issued a statement on the incident, saying that its forces “set off explosive devices and conducted short-range combat” with IDF soldiers.

Earlier on Thursday, around 100 Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israeli security forces in the West Bank city of Nablus, near Joseph’s Tomb. Injuries were caused mainly by smoke inhalation and rubber bullets, according to the Palestinian Red Crescent.

Last month, two Palestinians were killed in an exchange of fire with the Israeli army after IDF forces entered the Nur Shams refugee camp in the West Bank.

The Israeli army said that soldiers entered the refugee camp overnight and destroyed a combat room with surveillance equipment, IEDs and materials for creating explosive devices. During an exchange of fire that ensued, IEDs were activated in the vicinity of military vehicles.

A message from our editor-in-chief Jodi Rudoren

We're building on 127 years of independent journalism to help you develop deeper connections to what it means to be Jewish today.

With so much at stake for the Jewish people right now — war, rising antisemitism, a high-stakes U.S. presidential election — American Jews depend on the Forward's perspective, integrity and courage.

—  Jodi Rudoren, Editor-in-Chief 

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.