Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke was secretly buried in an anonymous grave in a cemetery inside the walls of an Italian prison complex, an Italian newspaper reported on Thursday.
A leading rabbi praised Italian protesters who blocked the funeral of a convicted Nazi war criminal as Italy marked on Wednesday the 70th anniversary of the deportation of Jews from the Rome ghetto.
The body of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke lay at a military airport near Rome and its final destination remained unclear on Wednesday, a day after rival groups of protesters forced a suspension of his funeral.
Enraged Italians shouted abuse and kicked the hearse of a Nazi war criminal at his funeral ceremony on Tuesday, which went ahead near Rome despite attempts by the local mayor to prevent it.
The son of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke said his father “can be buried in Israel so that they will be happy,” referring to Jews.
Civil and church authorities have moved to prevent a funeral in Rome for Erich Priebke, a Nazi war criminal convicted of one of Italy’s worst wartime massacres, who died last week at the age of 100.
Erich Priebke, a former German Nazi SS officer convicted of one of Italy’s worst wartime massacres, died on Friday in Rome at the age of 100, his lawyer said.
Dozens of demonstrators, including members of Rome’s Jewish community, protested outside the apartment building where the former SS officer responsible for one of Italy’s worst wartime massacres celebrated his 100th birthday on Monday.
Italian tax collectors have ordered the president of Rome’s Jewish community and a TV reporter to pay the court fees of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke, who lost a lawsuit against them in 1996.
About 20 Roman Jews protested outside the apartment building of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke over his freedom of movement.