Italian Police Arrest Synagogue Bomb Suspect
Police in northern Italy have arrested a young North African man suspected of planning terrorist attacks on the Milan synagogue and other targets.
The 20-year-old man, who has lived in Italy since childhood, was arrested early Thursday in the province of Brescia, according to Italian news reports.
The reports said investigators found a document on his computer analyzing the security measures of Milan’s main synagogue. He is also suspected of planning attacks and organizing terror groups through Internet social network sites, including a group on Facebook that exchanged information about arms and explosives.
A police spokesman interviewed on Italian television news said a woman who had been in contact with the arrested man had also been arrested in Britain.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
