Dutch Student Videos ‘Decapitate Jews’ Threat
A Dutch high school student was suspended after posting a video in which he said he belonged to ISIS and wanted to decapitate Jews.
The De Spindel high school in Hengelo, a city in eastern Netherlands, suspended the 14-year-old in recent days, according to a report Saturday by the De Telegraaf daily. The student, who according to the newspaper is a Muslim boy of Balkan descent, was identified in the media only as Ilhan M.
“Hi, I am from ISIS and I would like to cut off the heads of Jews,” he is seen as saying, followed by profanities about Jewish women.
It is not yet clear whether the teen was suspended because of the video or a recent inquiry by police initiated earlier this month after faculty reported that he may have possessed a weapon. Police found the boy owned a prop gun.
The affair comes amid growing concern in the Netherlands about Dutch citizens fighting for the jihadist group ISIS in Syria and Iraq. The Dutch General Intelligence and Security Service, or AIVD, estimated this summer that approximately 100 Dutchmen were fighting in Syria.
Security officials worry that the battle-hardened returnees would carry out attacks, including on Jewish targets.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
