Lea Michele Pushes ‘Glee’ Comeback
Despite rumors that “Glee” would be cancelled in the aftermath of Cory Monteith’s death on July 13, Fox TV announced on Friday that the show would go on, albeit delayed.
According to show creator Ryan Murphy, the final decision to continue was taken by Lea Michele, the show’s star who had been dating Monteith on and off-screen.
“The person who made the decision was Lea, who felt that the best thing for the cast and crew was to be together and to get back to work,” Murphy said.
“We decided to do that with Lea’s blessing and we’re going to go back to work and have grief counselors on the set for two weeks because people are really hurting.”
According to the New York Daily News, Murphy revealed he would have cancelled the show if Michele, 26, hadn’t felt up to continuing.
“She is sort of the show, so what do you do?” he said.
“She’s handled this with so much humanity and grace, and she’s also handled this in a way where she’s trying to look out for 500 other people affected by him and who have mortgages to pay and families to feed.”
“Glee” will return to Fox on September 26. A tribute episode to Monteith is in the works for sometime in the season.