Clinton Wedding: So, Who’s the Guy?
If you’ve been reading all of the Chelsea Clinton-Marc Mezvinsky wedding news and wondering, “Chelsea who?”, then happy fifth birthday. But for everyone else, the big question is: Who is this Marc fellow, and how did he win the heart of America’s least drunk first daughter?
1) Marc is the Jewish half of this interfaith union. He was raised Conservative — along with his 10 siblings — on Philadelphia’s tony Main Line. His Bar Mitzvah video has not been found on YouTube. Yet.
2) While no Mezvinsky has ever been leader of the free world or uttered the phrase “sexual relations” on national TV, Marc has grown up around politics and scandal, just like his bride. His parents (now divorced), Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky and Edward Mezvinsky, both served in Congress and have been longtime allies of the Clintons. (You could say Marc’s mom is an excellent wingman: She cast the deciding vote in favor of Bill’s 1993 tax bill.) Edward Mezvinsky, meanwhile, was convicted of fraud in connection with various Nigerian email scams; he served a seven year prison term and was released in 2008.
3) Marc works on Wall Street, for the hedge fund G3 Capital. (He used to work for Goldman Sachs, so conspiracy theorists should be piping up at any moment now.) He owns a $3.8 million dollar, 2,000 square foot condo in the Flatiron district.
4) Chelsea and Marc met as teenagers and attended Stanford together, but they were friends first, and nobody seems to know exactly when they started to “like like” each other. They announced their engagement last November, in an email: “We didn’t get married this past summer despite the stories to the contrary, but we are looking toward next summer and hope you all will be there to celebrate with us.” (Rumors had circulated last year that the pair was planning a Martha’s Vineyard wedding.)
5) Bill likes his future son-in-law. A New York Post article called Marc a “mensch, and the Daily News reported that the former president described Marc as “a great human being.” That would be Baptist for “mensch.”
Previously on The Shmooze:
Clinton wedding: No Comment, Shut Up, Go Away
Clintons: Surviving as MOTB, FOTB and Converting