There are a few hours left to National Whipped Cream Day and boy, oh boy, do we have a good reason to celebrate.
That’s because, it turns out, that Reddi-wip®, the red-canned mass-market version of the fluffy white stuff was invented in 1948 by one Aaron S. “Bunny” Lapin. Yep, a Jew.
According to the product’s website, Lapin used real cream to make Reddi-wip and got a patent for “dispensing valves for gas pressure containers.” He went national in 1954, and sold his company in 1963.
It is now owned by packaged foods giant ConAgra.
John Oswald is The Forward’s deputy digital media editor.