As the dog days of summer continue in earnest, and the oppressive heat assaults all the senses, the last thing you want to think about is fall fashion, with its heavy fabrics and layered looks. But with Rosh Hashana less than a month away, the time has come to consider that all important question: “What the hell am I going to wear to synagogue?”
We’re so happy you asked. Luckily for you, we’ve got you covered — literally. Here are ten synagogue-appropriate (read: mostly modest) dresses that are fashionable and under $100. Now that’s what we call a win-win.
1) This jersey dress has a slim fit that hugs all your curves, with a mustard hue that is flattering on most skin tones.
Asos Design ruched wrap dress, Asos.com, $56
2) Bring some sparkle to the Jewish New Year with this glittering, stripe-tastic dress.
Zara stripe sequin dress, Zara.com, $99.90
3)If the proliferation of flower arrangements as headpieces on the cover of Vogue’s September issue was any indication, florals are in for fall. This silky faux-wrap dress is the perfect take on the trend.
Asos Design bright floral wrap dress, asos.com, $60
4) Who can resist a good leopard print? I know I can’t.
Zara animal print dress, Zara.com, $69.90
5) Mixing prints gets a chic upgrade by combining a daisy print with diagonal stripes in a perfect, lightweight transitional wrap dress.
Warehouse daisy stripe wrap dress, asos.com, $87
6) I know, I know — this is the fifth wrap dress I added to this list. But, in my defense, wrap dresses are literally perfect kind of dresses to wear to synagogue. Don’t @ me.
Zara belt print dress, Zara.com, $99.90
7) The cut of this vertical stripe dress makes the skirt act as a billowing cloud with every strut and stray passing wind — perfect for twirling into synagogue.
Y.A.S. high neck stripe dress, asos.com, $76
8) Speaking of stripes, if fitted dresses are more your speed, try this rib-knit bodycon version from Revolve.
Fiona bodycon dress, revolve.com, $66
9) Looking for the perfect LBD? Look no further than this one from Zara, which has everything: a little bit of sexy sheerness (but still covered up enough for high holiday services), a flirty pleated skirt, a fun lacy details.
Zara combined pleated dress, Zara.com, $69.90
10) Did you know that zebra print looks astonishingly great paired with bold red and blue floral prints? It’s strange, but true: the slash of zebra print on this silky Asos dresss brings the contrasting floral prints together.
Asos Design mixed print trophy dress, asos.com, $72
11) If understated sparkle is your thing, this knit v-neck dress has metallic strands woven in which gives festive punch to the otherwise simple silhouette.
Zara metallic knit dress, Zara.com, $69.90
12) If feminine, romantic, vaguely Victorian-era dresses are your thing, this high-collared polka dotted dress with lace edging is for you.
Lace & Beads polka dot midi dress, asos.com, $87
13) Quaint, Laura Ashley-style dresses are all the rage right now. This one from Zara satisfies all our folk art embroidered, bib-collar smocking desires.
Zara stripe embroidered dress, Zara.com, $69.90
14) Another updated take on the classic LBD: plissé, all day.
Asos Design plisse batwing dress, asos.com, $51
15) Or, if pleats on pleats on pleats aren’t really your thing, try doing the LBD-thing lace. This one has lace dripping down in tiers.
Zara lace dress, Zara.com, $45.90